Wednesday, August 29, 2012

DJE #3 Adolescent Literacy

1. Elementary reading instruction can contribute to poor literacy attainment because teachers spend too much time on teaching how to read, rather than the skill of reading for a purpose.

2. Reading test scores are good for effectively eliciting a feeling of crisis, were designed to improve literacy skills.

3. To be totally honest, none of them surprised me. When I read each Myth headline, I said to myself that sounds stupid. I completely agreed with the Reality of every Myth.

4. I don't know much about teaching comprehension in the content area, but I guess to build comprehension in a social studies lesson, I would have students act out what they are reading, to make it a little fun and it would build comprehension as well.

5. I never really thought of Listening as a form of literacy, but it is.  No one to my knowledge has ever had a listening class, but it really should be a class. Some people are very very poor listeners and it would be benefit people to take a class on communication skills such as listening.

6.  An example of a literacy practice would be to ask student's to present a story about them to the class by writing, reading, orally, or even make a photo story using technology.

7. A discourse community is a group of people that share common characterists, language, or interest patterns, based on the communication of the group.

8. If students multiple-literacies are not recognized and not valued then the student becomes resistant to school-based literacy.

9. Asking students to share their personal story in class would be an example of how a teacher could build on extracurricular literacy practices.

10. I have had teachers that engaged students with real-world literacy practices, it always seemed for fun to add real world situations to the content I was learning in class.

11. Reading the "Color of my Skin" and painting ourselves using the diversity color paint.  That was fun and everyone seemed to like it. We wrote on our life size people and wrote what the color of our skin reminded us of.

12. Teachers who gain respect from their students are teachers who can include diversity in their classroom and have good classroom management skills.

*I was not able to do the word graphic organizer and use the snipping tool due to my IPAD not letting me so I will hand in a copy of it to you in class instead.

Resources:
The National Council of Teachers of English. (2007).Adolescent literacy. Retrieved from http://www.ncte.org/library/NCTEFiles/Resources/Positions/Chron0907ResearchBrief.pdf  

Bolima, D. (n.d.). Context for understanding: Educational learning theories. Retrieved from http://staff.washington.edu/saki/strategies/101/new_page_5.htm 


1 comment: